The Best Eggplant Parmesan
(from Larissa84’s recipe box)
Source: Taste of Home
Prep time: 70 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves 16 people
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 pound each), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder and oregano. Dip eggplant in the flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper.
- In each of two greased 13-in. × 9-in. baking dishes, layer 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four eggplant slices, 1 cup ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).