Quick and easy black beans and rice
(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: The Perfect PantryServes 4 people
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili powder (I like Penzeys Chili 3000)
- 2 oz canned roasted green chile peppers (half a small can)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup red sofrito (available in supermarkets, in the Latino foods section)
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion, and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic, cumin, chili powder and green chile peppers, and cook for 2 minutes.
If the rice is cold, break it up with your hands as you add it to the pot. Stir well to combine the rice and onion mixture; cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until the rice is warmed through. Add in the sofrito and black beans, and stir gently, until the sofrito is incorporated and the beans evenly distributed throughout the rice.
Season with the salt and pepper. Taste, and add more if needed. Serve warm, or cool completely and refrigerate. You can make this up to 2 days in advance; add a few drops of water and reheat in the microwave.