Grilled Chicken Tostadas
(from Larissa84’s recipe box)
Source: Family FunServes 6 people
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 to 4 limes)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (plus more for brushing the tortillas)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 ounces each)
- 8 small corn tortillas (5 to 6 inches in diameter)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack, or more if desired
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, green onions
- Place the chicken thighs in a gallon-size zip-lock bag and add all the marinade ingredients. Press the air out of the bag and seal it. Turn the bag to thoroughly coat the chicken, place it in a bowl, and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight), turning the bag occasionally. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 20 minutes before you want to start grilling.
- Prepare a charcoal fire or set a gas grill to medium-high, close the lid, and heat until hot — about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the thighs from the bag and discard the marinade. Grill the chicken until it’s no longer pink inside, about 4 to 5 minutes per side on a gas grill. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting it into 1/2-inch strips.
- Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas with vegetable oil. Grill them on each side until they turn slightly brown, about 1 minute on a gas grill. Before removing the tortillas from the grill, sprinkle each one with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
serve, layer the tortillas with shredded lettuce, the chicken strips, the remaining cheese, and any additional toppings. Serves 6 to 8.