Easter Carrot Cake
(from SusanLiz’s recipe box)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 350º and butter two 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper and butter the paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper.
In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the sugar and beat until mixture is thick and lightly colored. With the motor running on low, add the oil. Add vanilla and blend well.
Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until moist. Use a spatula to fold in the carrots and nuts.
Evenly divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake pans onto the wire rack and remove parchment. Cool completely before frosting.
In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Keep at room temperature for frosting.