orange poppyseed cake
(from Joanna’s recipe box)
Source: cake mix doctor, care of deborah stern silver
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 48 minutes
Serves 12 people
- Vegetable shortening for greasing the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup golden sherry
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.
Place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, orange juice, sherry, melted butter, poppy seeds, and orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then blend on medium-high speed for 2 minutes, or until the batter is well combined.
Pour the batter into the pan, and place the pan in the oven.
Bake the cake until it springs back when pressed lightly with your finger and is just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan, 43 to 48 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a rack or serving plate to cool for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Place the sugar in a small mixing bowl and whisk in the orange juice. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and allow the cake to rest 10 minutes before serving.