Yellow Squash Dressing
(from saymyname’s recipe box)
Source: Southern LivingServes 10 people
- 2 (6 ounce) packages Mexican cornbread mix
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Bake cornbread according to package directions; cool on a wire rack.
Crumble and set aside.
Combine squash and water in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until squash is tender; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in alarge heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
Combine cornbread, squash, onion mixture, soup, and remaining ingredients; spoon into a lightly greased 11×7 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.