Macaroni and Cheese-Southern Living
(from mel100204’s recipe box)
Uses cracker barrel cheese for best taste
Source: Southern Living
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves 8 people
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (10-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in half of sharp Cheddar cheese. Stir in extra-sharp Cheddar cheese until smooth. Remove from heat.
Combine pasta and cheese mixture, and pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sharp Cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes (bake 15 minutes longer for a crusty top). Prep: 35 min., Bake: 35 min.