Breakfast Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole
(from mel100204’s recipe box)
May need to bake closer to 60 mins.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- # 16 ounces breakfast sausage, bulk
- # 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- # 1 1/2 cups milk (do not use skim or fat free)
- # 16 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes
- # 4 green onions, finely chopped
- # 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- # 2 teaspoons rosemary
- # 1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. 1 Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 8×8×2-inch glass baking dish.
2. 2 Cook sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Mix in flour, then milk. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3. 3 Layer potatoes in prepared dish. Top with 1/3 of green onions, 1 cup cheese, 1/3 of green onions, sausage mixture, sprinkle the herbs on top, and the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake casserole until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.