Will’s Fisherman’s Stew
(from armbean’s recipe box)
- 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 hot pepper (optional), chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- water, if desired*
- 1 deboned (important) and cubed fillet of seabass, cod or other whitefish
- 1 doz. prawns
- 1 doz. scallops
- 1 doz. mussels
- 1 doz. clams (can use canned)
Place all ingredients in slow cooker except seafood. Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours on low.
About 30 minutes before serving, add your seafood. Turn the heat up to HIGH and stir occasionally (but gently).
Serve with true sourdough bread if you can find it. We here in San Francisco are lucky in that we have a choice of several really ‘sour’ tasting brands. By the way, don’t be afraid to dunk your bread in the chioppino as it’s considered perfectly good manners in this case.
*You can add water to the recipe to thin out the Cioppino somewhat but we prefer it nice and thick.
**Use your imagination and personal preferences as to which seafoods to add. Some choose to serve with fresh cracked crab when in season.