Sweet Corn Soup with Crab and Asparagus
(from tagost’s recipe box)
Source: American Heart Association
- Sweet Corn Soup With Crab and Asparagus
- This Cantonese-style soup is practically a meal in itself.
- * 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- * 1/4 cup water
- * 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- * 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added cream-style corn
- * 2 teaspoons low-salt soy sauce
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- * 2 tablespoons cold water
- * Egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs, or 3 large eggs
- * 2 6-ounce cans crabmeat, rinsed and drained
- * 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- * 6 medium green onions (green part only), finely chopped
- * Chili garlic sauce to taste (optional)
1. Trim the asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces. Put in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Don’t overcook. Drain well.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the corn, soy sauce, and salt. Return to a boil. Meanwhile, put the cornstarch in a cup. Add 2 tablespoons water, stirring to dissolve. Pour into the broth mixture, stirring constantly.
3. Pour the egg substitute into the boiling soup in a thin stream. Remove from the heat.
4. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup asparagus into each bowl. Ladle the broth mixture over each serving. Top with the crabmeat and sesame oil. Sprinkle the green onions over each serving.
5. Serve the chili garlic sauce on the side.
Nutrition analysis per serving:
Calories: 138 Total Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 38mg Protein: 15g
Carbohydrates: 17g Sodium: 278mg