Broccoli Rabe, Chickpeas and Sausage
(from tagost’s recipe box)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pounds sweet Italian sausage, skin removed
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe or broccoli (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound gemelli or other short-shape pasta
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil over high heat.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble in sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add garlic during last minute.
Stir in chickpeas, broccoli rabe, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 7 minutes or until broccoli rabe is tender. Add 1/4 cup of the pasta water if mixture becomes too dry.
While sauce is cooking, prepare pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
Toss pasta with broccoli rabe mixture and 1/3 cup of the cheese. Add some of the reserved pasta water, if desired, to moisten mixture.
Serve immediately with remaining cheese on the side.