Black Devil’s Food Cake
(from tagost’s recipe box)
- # Vegetable oil spray
- # 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus flour for dusting pan
- # 1-3/4 cups sugar
- # 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- # 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- # 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- # 1 cup fat-free or low-fat buttermilk
- # 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup strong coffee
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9×2-inch pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; shake off excess.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
In a small saucepan, bring coffee to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir gently into batter. Mixture will be soupy. Pour into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or let cool completely.