Cuban Egg Salad (Ensalada De Huevos)
(from saymyname’s recipe box)
Source: Three Guys from MiamiServes 10 people
- 12 hard-boiled eggs , peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
- 2/3 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2/3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 loaf Cuban bread (or French bread)
- sweet spanish paprika
Use a large knife or cleaver to chop up the eggs thoroughly.
Add in celery, pickles, mustard, cumin, lime juice, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste.
Stir until just mixed.
Adjust the amount of mayonnaise to your taste; chill salad.
Use a fork to mash the garlic into the butter.
Slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Compress the bread slices with a bacon press, rolling pin, frying pan, or whatever you have handy.
The idea is to smash the bread down to about one-third of its original thickness.
Butter the compressed bread slices with the garlic butter, and toast briefly under a low broiler, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
Cut the bread into triangles, squares, rectangles, etc (if you want).
Just before serving, spread the chilled egg salad on the warm toast.
Lay the small toast shapes out on a serving tray and dust very lightly with sweet paprika.