Swiss Mushrooms Au Gratin
(from saymyname’s recipe box)
Serves 6 people
- 3 tablespoons butter , plus extra for the dish
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms , sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream , divided
- 3 large eggs
- ground nutmeg , a pinch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 375°; butter a 1 1/2 quart shallow casserole or gratin dish.
In a skillet, melt the butter; add in the shallots; stir/saute for 2 minutes.
Stir in the mushrooms, salt, lemon juice, and sherry; cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
Add 1 cup cream; bring to a boil and continue boiling for about 5 minutes, or until the cream is reduced to a thick sauce.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and remaining 1/2 cup cream; stir the mushrooms mixture into the egg mixture and transfer to the buttered dish.
Sprinkle with the nutmeg, pepper, and Swiss cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Serve as appetizer with slices of crusty French Bread.