(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: The Big Book of CasserolesServes 6 people
- 2 cups Rich Chicken Stock, canned low-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups light sour cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, including some tender green tops
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1.4-inch slices
- 3 tomatoes, seeded, sliced, and drained
- 4 cups (about 1 pound) grated Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring stock to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, chiles, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, and parsley.
In a 4-quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil, add half of each of the following in layers: rice, sour cream mixture, zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.