Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: Eating WellServes 4 people
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 Tbs)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, and separated into rings
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
Puree 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring often, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and turmeric. Add tomatoes and the chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Serve topped with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.