Lemon Ricotta Cookies
(from jerseyjenny’s recipe box)
Source: Wisconsin Cheese advertisment, December 2006
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves 12 people
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ounces whole-milk Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract or 1 tsp lemon or tangerine baking oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Meyer Lemon zest (or regular lemons, or oranges, or tangerines)
- 1 tablespoon Meyer Lemon juice (or regular lemons, or oranges, or tangerines)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Meyer Lemon juice (or regular lemons, or oranges, or tangerines)
- Decorating sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Combine butter and sugar in a bowl, cream together until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, ricotta, extract, zest, and juice, blend well.
Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt, blend to combine.
Add remaining flour in 2 parts, blending to combine between each, until a dough forms.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart on baking sheets (cookies will spread).
Bake until edges are very light golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Let cookies rest on baking sheet for a few minutes and transfer to wire cooling rack.
While cookies cool, prepare glaze by creaming together butter and sugar.
Continue to mix, gradually adding juice until desired consistency.
Decorate cooled cookies, adding dragees or decorating sugar, if desired, before icing sets.