Grilled Sausage Sandwiches with Caramelized Onion
(from libraryhead’s recipe box)
Source: EpicuriousServes 2 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 fully cooked smoked sausages (such as white bratwurst or chicken-apple)
- 4 large slices rye or pumpernickel bread or 2 rolls
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar and caraway seeds. Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until onions are deep brown and very tender, about 20 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over low heat before using.)
Preheat broiler. Brush 11×7-inch metal baking pan with oil. Place sausages in pan. Broil until sausages are brown and crisp, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer sausages to work surface and cut lengthwise in half.
Arrange 3 sausage halves on each of 2 bread slices. Spread 2 teaspoons mustard over sausages on each. Top sausages with caramelized onions, dividing equally. Top with Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese slices, dividing equally. Cover with remaining 2 bread slices. Spread half of butter over upper bread slices.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Carefully invert sandwiches, buttered side down, into skillet. Cover and cook until bottoms are brown, about 5 minutes. Spread remaining butter over upper bread slices. Turn sandwiches, cover and cook until bottoms are brown, about 4 minutes longer.
variation: add fennel with onions
serve with cold beer