Creamy Potato Soup with Chives
(from jerseyjenny’s recipe box)
Source: Cook's Illustrated March 2007 E-Notes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves 5 people
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or the same amount of vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, 3 medium shallots, or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
- 2 large russet potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-fat vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and potato; stir-cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.
Add broth, salt, and pepper to taste to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Ladle potato mixture into blender. Add 1 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)
Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced chives and serve immediately.