Ham and Swiss Bread
(from lilih’s recipe box)
- 1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast (approx. .5oz)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups milk (low fat is fine), warm (approx 100-110F)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup swiss cheese, in 1/4 in. cubes
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 large egg, for egg wash
Lightly grease and 8″x8″ baking pan or a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish (I used pyrex) with butter or vegetable oil.
In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm milk. Stir and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until slightly foamy.
Stir in salt, melted butter and 4 cups of all purpose flour. Add remaining flour gradually until dough is sticky and smooth, but no longer liquidy. No streaks of flour should remain. Stir in cheese and ham and scrape dough into prepared pan.
Let rise for 1 hour. Lightly beat egg with a fork in a small bowl and brush on top of loaf.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Bake for 42-46 minutes, until an instant read/meat thermometer inserted into the center of the bread (insert through the side, not the top) reads 200F, or until dark gold.
Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.