Sweet and Sour Broccoli Salad
(from maggiwun’s recipe box)
Don’t be put off by the agave syrup, which I found in the health food store and is extremely expensive, honey could easily be used as a substitute. Also, I didn’t have Spike seasoning and used Emeril’s instead. In fact, you could go without either one and I don’t think it would make that much difference. This recipe was a hit at my dinner party.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Serves 8 people
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small flowerets
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked very crisp, crumbled
- 1/ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayo
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (or honey, or sugar)
- 2 tsp Spike Seasoning (I used Emerils)
- Salt/Pepper to taste (I didn't think it needed much salt at all)
Combine dressing ingedients with a wire wisk. Gently fold into all the above ingredients. This is best when freshly made, but can be kept overnight.