PAPPA AL POMODORO
(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: David RoccoServes 4 people
- 1 loaf day old tuscan or country bread, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (240ml), plus extra for drizzling
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 leaves of basil
- 10oz can peeled plum tomatoes w/ juices (280g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (710ml)
- Salt and pepper to season
In a large pot, heat olive oil and throw in celery, carrots, onions and basil.
Fry vegetables until soft and add bread. Stir thoroughly until bread has absorbed all the extra virgin olive oil.
Add a few ladles of vegetable broth and continue to stir very well. The vegetable broth helps to break down the bread, turning it into a soft, porridge-like consistency. Add the remaining broth and let reduce.
Add pealed plum tomatoes including the juices and roughly break up tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes making sure the pappa is dense, not soupy.
Serve at room temperature and drizzle with the best extra virgin olive oil you can find.