Beetroot and chickpea salad
(from BlueFinger’s recipe box)
- 1 bunch baby beetroot
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 80g baby English spinach leaves
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 100g reduced fat fetta
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Wash beetroot and trim stems and roots, reserving any small beetroot leaves.
- Wrap beets in a large sheet of foil and bake for 1 hour, or until the largest beetroot is tender when tested with a fork.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic in a small screw-top jar. Shake to combine. Leave to stand for at least 15 minutes. Remove and discard garlic.
- Carefully unwrap beetroot. Leave until cool enough to handle. Peel off skin (wear rubber gloves to avoid staining your hands). Cut into quarters, or halves for the smaller ones.
- Combine spinach leaves, reserved beetroot leaves, chickpeas and onion in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Divide between serving plates, top with beetroot, then crumble fetta over the top. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.