(from saymyname’s recipe box)
Source: EatingWellServes 6 people
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cubed whole wheat bread (2 slices, crust removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon , diced (remove for vegetarian)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese (4-ounces) or 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (4-ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; coat a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie pan with cooking spray; add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat sides.
Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl; Add bread and stir to coat, set aside in refrigerator.
Steam broccoli until JUST tender, 3 to 4 minutes; refresh under cold water and drain well; chop coarsely.
Heat oil in a mediun nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add bacon and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese; pour into the prepared pan spreading evenly.
Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes; let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving, 226 calories, 13 g fat, 14 g carb, 3 g fiber