(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: The Big Book of CasserolesServes 4 people
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups Rich Chicken Stock, canned low-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp slat
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed well and drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 zucchini, unpeeled, grated, and blotted dry with a paper towel
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add stock, thyme, salt, pepper, and barley. Stir and bring to a boil.
2) Transfer barley mixture to a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spary or oil. Stir in carrots.
3) Cover and bake 40 minutes. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed and zucchini is tender, 25 to 30 minutes longer.