Baked Macaroni and Cheese
(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
Source: The Big Book of CasserolesServes 6 people
- 12 ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs butter
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Place half of the macaroni in a 9-by-13 inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Dot with 1 Tbs of the butter, cut into bits. In layers add half of the cheese, the remaining macaroni, and them the remaining cheese.
2) In a cup, mix milk and Worcestershire sauce and pour over casserole. Melt remaining butter and mix with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
3) Cover and bake 40 minutes. Remove cover and bake until bubbly, 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.