(from kylerhea’s recipe box)
This is an excellent vegetable stock – freeze what you don’t use for next time.
Source: Dr. Weil
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, well washed and chopped
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley stems
- 2 teaspoons dried whole marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 Turkish bay leaves or 1/2 Caolifornia bay leaf
- 1 1/2 gallons cold purified water
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the vegetables and stir-fry to brown lightly. Add the marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and cold water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined colander.
Press or squeeze the vegetables to extract their liquid. Discard the vegetables.
Makes 20 cups