Key Lime Cupcakes
(from taryns’s recipe box)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
Serves 12 people
- 2 sticks softened butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/2 cup self-rising flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cups condensed milk
- 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Crumbled graham crackers, for garnish
Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
Beat 12 tablespoons butter, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest until light and fluffy. Starting and ending with an egg, alternate beating in eggs and flour until each is thoroughly incorporated. Beat in lime juice and vanilla until just incorporated.
Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes. Remove from oven, let cupcakes stand a couple of minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, beat remaining 4 tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons zest, and the cream cheese until smooth; beat in condensed milk and sugar. Frost and sprinkle with crumbled graham crackers.